expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Dear Whitney (Not Houston),



Hey Whitney!


I just saw a Facebook post you wrote about the dissent over Kim Kardashian's Vogue cover. For everyone else, here's her post:



Why is everyone so mad that Kim Kardashian is on the cover of Vogue? why does it concern you so much? She may not have became a popular media mogul by doing some wonderful business venture or doing something worthy of attention , but she hustled her way to the top. I can respect that. She's not letting her mistakes define her potential & success. Kanye is the one that's pushing for her in spite of her embarrassing past. If that's not the definition of a real couple , I don't know what is. My opinion tho.

I saw the post, read the comments, and literally sat at my computer for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to put my thoughts...lightly, then God parted the grey skies and sent me this:






For starters, this is literally my favorite meme of all time! Yes, of ALL TIME. Let me explain why. *Kevin Hart voice* But let me be clear here: I am in no way bashing Kim, slut shaming her, saying she isn't business savvy or intelligent, or questioning her fashion sense. Buuuuut...


For starters, Kim simply isn't "Vogue" material.


Vogue's mission is to be a "cultural barometer, putting fashion in the context of the larger world we live in- how we dress, live, socialize; what we eat, listen to, watch; who leads and inspires us."


Having said that, as a cultural figure who influences how young women dress, how young woman socialize, how young women live, why would I want the woman whose "failed business venture" is having her vagina been seen by millions, to be a woman that inspires us?
Sorry but I don't want THIS WOMAN...
…to be a role model to my sister, my daughters, or my granddaughters!

We can agree to disagree, but Sarah Michelle Gellar and thousands of other women also know that Kim's "rise to fame" isn't an inspirational tale of a business woman working hard and making a
respectable name for herself, it's the fairytale for side hoes, prostitutes, and gold diggers.


Then you respond to a mutual friend of ours that brought up the same "role model" argument. You then responded:
We can agree to disagree. Lol I def respect your opinion tho so I understand where u r coming from. But answer this; what celebrity really signs up to be a role model ? Not saying she should be praised for a sex tape by having a magazine spread . She's grown and can do what she want. Lol. It's not like she's trying to be a good example. At least she's not running from her past or lying about it. she dealt with it & She just wants to make her money. She's doing a good job at that. I feel like People are only judging because the "mistakes" they made aren't be broadcasted to the public. Had that been, I feel like other people would be trying to explain themselves and say " I'm human. I make mistakes." I feel like people are being worried the wrong things. They put their foot down about things that don't matter. It's a magazine cover lol. It's not a big deal 
Whit, we can agree to disagree but I think it is a big deal. A very big deal.
You see this gorgeous woman right here? Of course, Lupita Nyong'o, Black America's New Cinderella. Why is she a big deal?

Because she's an award winning…

…talented…




…fashion icon…

...who just so happens to have a really cute brother…


And yet, she still hasn't gotten on the cover of American Vogue ( but she KILLED it in Vogue Italia!). Moreover, for the first time in a very, very long time, Lupita gave every little Black girl in the country hope that she can do whatever she puts her mind to, even in industries where the Black women are disproportionately represented.
When I look down at this golden statue, may it remind me and every little child that no matter where you're from, your dreams are valid. Thank you.  
It's women like Lupita who leads and inspires women. She inspires women to uplift themselves, that women are just as intelligent and competitive, if not more, than some of their male counterparts, that women don't need to go under the knife and have several butt injections to be attractive, that despite all the challenges in your way, there's always a way to make your dreams come true.


Sorry, Kim, you just don't live up to that fairytale.


….But North West is cute tho!


-Malaika Nicholas

No comments:

Post a Comment